Friday, April 24, 2009

Tilly is warming up to me!

Alfie likes being scritched but Tilly doesn't like me touching him. If he was in the cage while I scritched him she'd snap at me. Well as time goes by she's getting used to me touching Alfie. She's gotten so she will raise her neck feathers like Alfie for scritching but won't let me quite touch her. Instead, I present the top of my hand and she touches it with her beak the same way Mom's Merlin has to before I can pet him.

This is a huge step considering that I have scars on top of my hand from where she would bite me!

Other than to say that Tilly and my method of training uses a "visual clicker" (for fear that some of the radicals from the board I used to post on may follow this and start some crap) we have found a method that works for her and I. Although, we've been using hand gestures more and more and the visual clicker less and less.

She's got so she likes to "talk" with me. She gets as close to my desk as she can and chirps, tweet, squacks and does other sounds and movements to have conversations. Now Alfie is the one that gets upset. If I include him in our talks he's fine though.

I got them a cage top play perch but it took a while for them to approach it. Tilly will go on the bottom but hasn't ventured up the perches. Alfie likes being on the perch but we have to put him there because he doesn't have a very strong grip with his feet and can't climb up yet.

Tilly will still challenge me for Alpha position at times but she does it less and less. I think she's finally realizing I won't be challenged by a bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment